5 Essential Tips for Learning Piano Lessons for Beginners
Music adds a lively element to our life. When it comes to learning anything new, anxiety and lots of queries start to stipulate in our mind. But, I tell you, nothing in life is easy or difficult. It is just in your mind that you think either the task is easy or not. Learning any instrument no doubt is always refreshing if done in an accurate manner. At first, learning new chords and basic techniques of Piano can get complex however, with consistent practice, one can master anything.
Here I am presenting a few tips to master piano lessons for beginners:
1. Start with your favorite song
The song you like to hum and also enjoy the lyrics of, should be on your priority list to play. This will not just give you motivation but also keep you excited about learning details of the song you love the most. Obviously, you will have some fundamentals before beginning to play like how to set your fingers and find the keys. Starting with your favorite song will make you a fast learner as you would always want to learn at the earliest and once you learn one song, it would be a child’s play for you to move ahead with others. While choosing a song, look for the following:
- The song does not involve a lot of hand jumps
- The song that has less or exactly no chords. A song with three chords can work for a beginner with piano.
2. Break the song in sections
Once you have decided with the song, slice it up into various sections. Break it in sections of about 5 to 10 seconds. When you play the piano, your brain runs faster and it is supposed to memorize new hand moments which might get difficult. After all, the brain has its limit of memorizing things. As per various researches also, it is easy to learn a song in sections than trying to learn the entire song at one length. This will certainly help in learning piano lessons, especially for beginners.
You can prepare your learning schedule like:
- On Monday, you can learn the first section
- Tuesday, start to learn the next session and then revise the one you did the previous day
- Learn the third lesson the next day and then play all three. So, you can continue in this manner.
3. Practice with one hand first
Learning Piano Lessons For Beginners level is not a difficult task. At first, let your one hand get settled with the piano keys. As you are a beginner with piano, do not start with both the hands because it will only confuse you and increase complexity. So, in order to make the learning process simple and smooth, start with just one hand. Master it first and then try with both the hands. Here are some tips:
- Start with the right hand first.
- Always use the standard procedure of separate hand practice.
- Once you have mastered using both hands, practice more to increase coordination.
4. Pay attention to accuracy, not speed and also memorize more
Don’t rush to play in speed as speed playing comes only with experience, time and a lot of practice. For now, you should learn accurate techniques to hit the right keys for the right chords. A beginner is an amateur, so try focusing on efficiency. Do not run for perfection, run for efficiency as it will eventually lead to perfection.
Reach for the accuracy of the following:
- Hand and finger moments and also the understanding of music as well
Memorizing the music, keys and moments of hands will simplify your playing. So, don’t forget to memorize at least for one hour daily. This will help you to learn the chords and keys effectively.
5. Opt sight reading music technique
This technique is a smart way to understand music well in detail. Especially amateurs develop their Proprioception Skills (awareness of the body in space) by using sight reaching music techniques. Many times, musicians get lost in the music and lose their grip on notes, so, in that case, such technique helps in bringing them back to the track. Some other tricks that amateurs should follow are:
- Do not play too fast, slow down a little!
- Use the chromatic platform to practice scales
- Increase the speed gradually not instantly
Last but not least, maintain a proper rhythm and first of all consider the basic program piano for beginners. Both tempo and rhythm are the basic elements of a music piece. You can start with the rhythm even if you do not know the notes and chords involved in the song. If as a piano beginner, you are able to maintain a steady rhythm; all other errors are covered up.